What seemed like an empty weekend turned out to be pretty thick with gigs.

I had a Mothers’ Day brunch at Shankara at 11 am, and Wendy put out the big spread for this one with lots of steam trays of mighty vegan specialties, great desserts and fruit. I played for two and a half hours before I had to split for the Side Walk Arts show. I gave away Peanut Butter CDs to all the kids who were there with their folks, and I was glad I could play some stuff for the kids who were a little uncomfortable in this kind of restaurant. One little kid, Sam, sat up front early on and simply stared at me while he ate strawberries. When I did the vocal trombone, he finally smiled and looked at his mom. Tough audience. It was nice to see a busy day at Shankara.

I headed over to the Sun Inn courtyard for my second gig there this weekend. There was more action today, with moms, dads and kids out on a beautiful though hot Sunday. Some of the girls and parents were there from Holy Infancy so I had some interested listeners. One mom wanted to hear Giants. She said she went on line and bought a Thunder Tube and she uses it to get her daughters out of bed in the morning. That’s cool. I did an hour and I realized that my strings were well on their way out, and my last gig would be rather thuddy.

I had enough time to go home, take a shower and put on some respectable clothes for the Celebration of Life at 5 pm in Allentown.

The celebration for Janet Goloub, classical DJ on WDIY, arts and peace activist who died after a long bout with cancer was at large room at Miller Symphony Hall. Lots of folks I know, some of whom I saw the day before at Ray’s event. There was a nice classical trio playing when I arrived. When they were done, I set up a chair and started in on guitar and mandolin. It was nice to see folk talking with each other and gradually tapping their feet to the music. Several folks came over to listen up close. As I warmed up, I was able to do some of my more engaging songs. I felt good that I could add to the warmth of the event as well as put my two cents towards Janet’s memory.

My left hand started cramping up half way through and my strings were shot as well. I was glad I did only an hour.

Four and a half hours of playing, at a fairly minimal payscale. Beats not working, but I am exhausted.

It was a long, long day